TOFWERK is making the world a cleaner place through innovative solutions for chemical analysis.
Our scientists and engineers design, manufacture, and optimize high performance mass spectrometers for new applications to support researchers and industrial customers around the world. We are headquartered in Thun, Switzerland, with regional offices in China and the United States. Our diverse team members cultivate a collaborative and creative work environment. Together we deliver the highest quality products and service to ensure our customers’ success.
TOFWERK is seeking an Application Scientist in Process Analysis, Development, Control and Monitoring of Materials in Device Manufacturing Applications (Semiconductors and Related Markets). The application scientist will develop and demonstrate new applications of our EI-based time-of-flight mass spectrometers (TOFMS), with emphasis on the end-user/Solution Process Analysis (PA) line. The scientist will work within our Applications Department in support of our PA product teams. They will be independently tasked with increasing the breadth and quality of analyses based on these instruments. The scientist will be active in relevant scientific communities in order to stay updated on trends and advances and to engage potential customers and collaborators. As the company’s expert on EI-TOF applications, they will communicate the capabilities of TOFWERK technology to prospective customers; lead product demonstrations; represent TOFWERK at international scientific meetings; support the Marketing Department in the production of technical promotional material; formally present data in conference presentations, research reports, application notes, and peer-reviewed publications; and be responsible for scientific support of customers. They will work with other members of the Applications Department to ensure that all analyses at TOFWERK utilize the best available methods and technology. Based on their knowledge of the field and use of TOFWERK technology, the application scientist will provide suggestions and feedback to the Software and R&D Departments regarding potential short- and long-term product improvements and developments.
Location: TOFWERK Headquarters, Thun, Switzerland
- PhD in Material Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
- 4+ years of experience in materials science and technology with experience with mass spectrometry for applied research or sample analysis, including method development a strong plus
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory, including: experiment design, sample preparation, operation and troubleshooting of scientific equipment, and data interpretation
- Strong background in data analysis, including statistics and spectral interpretation
- Interest in interacting with customers and prospective customers
- Confident and effective communicator
- Willingness to travel up to 30% per year for scientific conferences and customer site visits at European and international locations
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
Desired Skills and Expertise
- Use of any of the following equipment: Materials synthesis, modification, processing, device fabrication such as implantation, lithography, etc.
- Expertise in any of the following fields: Surface science and thin film technology
- Experience running and characterizing prototype scientific equipment
- Familiarity with any of the following: high vacuum systems, ion optics, ion-molecule reaction chemistry
- Competence in laboratory electronics and use of diagnostic equipment
- You tell us
We look forward to receiving your application at firstname.lastname@example.org