- Fast and sensitive measurements for ambient trace VOCs
- Ultra-low limits of detection in seconds
- High mass resolving power for accurate VOC identification
- A wide range of reagent ions available to increase detectable chemical scope and specificity
- Field deployable and capable for mobile measurements
Emissions from industry can negatively affect ambient air quality, and are a major contributor to poor air quality in many regions. Pollutant sources include both stack emissions and fugitive emissions during storage, processing and transport. Because of this, many countries have established fenceline regulations on levels of key pollutants, including VOCs, to protect workers and neighboring communities. For example, US EPA rule 40 CFR part 63 requires refineries to monitor benzene emissions at key emission sources within their facilities and at their fencelines.
Passive sampling, followed by offline analysis methodology, suffers from slow feedback, potential losses to sampling devices, and no meteorological data for source appointment. Fast VOC measurement, offered by online techniques, is increasingly requested by regulators to enable better science-based decisions. Common deployments include 1) setting up a network of stationary monitoring stations based on the prevailing wind directions, 2) running a single instrument behind multi-point sampling valves, 3) mapping VOC distributions on a routine basis along fenceline and within facilities using a mobile platform.
The TOFWERK real-time VOC analyzer – Vocus PTR-TOF offers a turnkey solution for online VOCs and odorous compounds analysis, without any sample preparation or GC separation, leading to a real-time and fast data output. These features of Vocus PTR-TOF make in situ fenceline monitoring very efficient and simple. For benzene, it can reach LOD as low as 10 pptv per second, which enables fast and sensitive measurements of rapid changes in benzene levels at refinery fencelines. The system has a proven record of deployment with mobile laboratory to map VOC concentrations in industrial areas and assist the regulatory bodies to trace emission source and address odor complaints in residential neighborhoods. The real-time data can help regulatory agencies improve inventories of air pollution emissions, as well as enforcement of air quality standards.
Real-Time Fenceline Monitoring Using the Vocus PTR-TOF
- Real-time and fast data output capturing rapid changes in VOC concentrations at fencelines and also suitable for mobile monitoring
- High mass resolving power enables identification of individual compounds from complex industrial emissions
- Full spectrum acquisition allows measurements of a wide range of compounds simultaneously, including air toxics like BTEX and heteroatomic odorous compounds.