Partner with us to design and manufacture a mass spectrometer that meets your unique requirements.
From ion source to data analysis – our modular Custom TOF platform will accelerate your project
TOFWERK Modular Design PlatformTOFWERK TOFs are used for the measurement of ions generated by a broad range of methods and are frequently incorporated into larger analytical systems that require sophisticated mechancial and electronic coupling. Our modular design platform enables rapid design and manufacturing of custom instrumentation for research laboratories and OEM customers.
- High-performance TOF analyzers
- Optimized vacuum and ion optic interfaces – for coupling of TOFs to ion sources of varied pressure and geometry
- Flexible data acquisition and control software with supported API for development of custom applications
- Sophisticated Timing modes for synchronization with external devices
- Open source data structure that can be directly imported into many scientific data analysis software programs (MATLAB, IGOR Pro, etc)
- Customizable data analysis software
TOF AnalyzersDesign of your custom instrument begins with the choice of one of our three orthogonal extraction TOF platforms. All are available as either positive-ion or bipolar detectors.
|CTOF||Compact TOF analyzer for space-limited designs or high-speed measurements|
|HTOF||A medium-resolution TOF with field portable size|
|LTOF||Our highest performance TOF analyzer|
|CTOF||HTOF||LTOF||Definition of Units|
|Mass Range||up to 20000 Th||up to 20000 Th||up to 20000 Th||Th, thomson=1 u/e=1 Da/e, mass/charge User defines based on sample composition|
|Mass Resolving Power||700-1100 Th/Th||3000-7000 Th/Th||6000-14000 Th/Th||M/ΔM, FWHM Depending on application|
|Mass Accuracy||4 ppm||4 ppm||Octafluoronaphthalene (OFN) 1.5,Th for C10F8+|
|Burst Spectra Rate||Up to 80000 spectra/s||Up to 40000 spectra/s||Up to 40000 spectra/s||Saved to Aquisition PC|
|Continuous Spectra Rate||Up to 2000 spectra/s||Up to 2000 spectra/s||Up to 2000 spectra/s|
|Intensity Dynamic Range||6 Orders of Magnitude in 10 ms 7 Orders of Magnitude per second|
|Mass of Analyzer||9 kg||12 kg||23 kg|
|Mass of Power Supply||15 kg||19 kg||19 kg|
|Vacuum Ports||Turbo Pump: 63-K or 100-K Gauge: 25-KF|
|TOF Chamber Dimensions||265 x 175 x 115 mm||665 x 250 x 102 mm|
TOF InterfacesOur differentially pumped interface designs reconcile pressure differences between ion source and TOF analyzer, while efficiently transporting ions from the source to the TOF. In many cases, our standard interfaces are immediately compatible with a customer’s ion source. If not, you many work with our design team to optimize coupling and analytic performance.
|API||Atmospheric Pressure Interface for sources such as ESI, DART, or APCI.|
|MPI||Mid- Pressure Interface for sources such as GD or CI.|
|LPI||Low Pressure Interface for sources such as EI or PI.|
TOF Data AcquisitionData acquisition hardware and software are tailored to meet the unique needs of your custom instrument. The data acquisition system must consider the necessary dynamic range, spectral acquisition rates, and all externally synchronized devices. Additionally, data files generated by the data acquisition software must have a structure that accommodates all the dimensions (time-scales) of the experiment and that synchronizes peripheral data values with MS data. Our suite of acquisition hardware and software tools is immediately adaptable for any TOF experiment.
- Optimized for fast acquisition and multidimensional experiments
- Graphical software for control and visualization of data acquisition
- Documented and supported API for TOF control
Tofwerk Data File Structure
- Flexible data structure, using HDF5 file format, for n-dimensional MS experiments
- High capacity, necessary for save and processing of fast TOF acquisition
- Compatible with most mathematical computing languages
- Learn more about HDF5
- Choice of ADCs and TDCs to best match application needs
- Proprietary acquisition firmwares with TOF-specific functionality
TOF Data AnalysisTofware is a powerful graphical interface for the viewing, manipulation and analysis of TOFWERK data files. It can be easily expanded or customized to optimize your analysis workflows. From simple data inspection to full-blown peak finding and automated batch processing of large datasets, Tofware allows the user to quickly and seamlessly arrive at the desired analysis results.
- Powerful MS data viewing, manipulation and analysis toolkit
- Dedicated, specialized interfaces for IMS-TOF and ICP-TOF
- Automated batch process handling for routine analysis of large sample set
- mzML data export for use in third-party applications
- Fully-documented and supported
- Publication-grade graphics
- Modular construction – allows easy expansion for OEM / specialized applications
- A field-deployable, chemical ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometer, T. H. Bertram, et al., Atmos. Meas. Tech., 4, 1471-1479, 2011. DOI: 10.5194/amt-4-1471-2011
- A new time-of-flight aerosol mass spectrometer (TOF-AMS) – Instrument description and first field deployment, F. Drewnick, et al., Aerosol Science and Technology, 39, 7, 637, 2005. DOI: 10.1080/02786820500182040
- “A field-deployable high-resolution time-of-flight aerosol mass spectrometer.” A. Chem, 2006. DOI: 10.1021/ac061249n
- “High resolution PTR-TOF: quantification and formula confirmation of VOC in real time.” J. Am. Soc. Mass Spec. 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasms.2010.02.006
- “A Proton Transfer Reaction-Quadrupole interface Time-Of-Flight Mass Spectrometer (PTR-QiTOF): High speed due to extreme sensitivity.” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 368 (2014) 1–5. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijms.2014.05.004
Custom TOF Case Studies
Our many successful partnerships are based on the combination of our mass spectrometry expertise with our partners’ knowledge of specific research fields and applications.
OEM Partner- Aerodyne Research
Aerodyne Research (Billerica, MA, USA) is a recognized leader in online analysis of atmospheric gases and aerosols. Their research staff and their extensive network of customers use Aerodyne instruments to address pressing questions related to climate change and air quality – in the laboratory, in the field, and on board mobile research platforms.
Tofwerk has supplied TOF hardware and software to Aerodyne for more than a decade, beginning with the Aerodyne ToF Aerosol Mass Spectrometer (ToF-AMS), which couples Aerodyne’s aerosol sampling and sizing technology with a TOF mass analyzer. The ToF-AMS has become a standard component on all major atmospheric research campaigns, and ToF-AMS data has been included in close to 1000 publications. Aerodyne’s atmospheric product line now includes versions of the IMS-TOF, API-TOF, Vocus PTR-TOF, and EI-TOF that have been adapted and expanded to meet unique demands of atmospheric science.
Through our support of Aerodyne and their customers we have developed an expertise in the design of field deployable mass spectrometers. The rugged physical demands of atmospheric field work have encouraged a robust standard for all TOFWERK hardware and motivated the development of many components and features.
OEM Partner- Karsa
Karsa develops advanced MS systems and accessories for molecular detection of explosives. Founded in 2016, Karsa is a spin-off of the University of Helsinki. The TOFWERK and the Karsa research teams have had a long and fruitful relationship, stemming from developments of new Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization (APCI) methods for atmospheric research at University of Helsinki. This APCI technology is widely used with the API-TOF for online, trace detection of gas-phase organic compounds, and is reconized for having achieved the lowest ever limit of detection for sulphuric acid. Today TOFWERK and Karsa are collaborating to extend use of related techology for security applications and to optimize hardware and software for securities environments and workflows.
The Karsa ionization inlet is capable of detecting of a wide range of chemical compounds at extremely low concentrations. The design achieves very high ionization efficiencies based on a high rate of reagent-analyte collisions. Soft ionization enables detection of intact compounds instead of fragments, thereby simplying spectral interpretation and increasing confidence in results. Karsa has also develops equipment for direct air sampling as well as trapping vapours and particles on a filter media that is later desorbed and analysed. Learn more at karsa.fi