Advantages of the icpTOF
The icpTOF is an inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer (ICP-MS) that couples the source and interface hardware of a Thermo Scientific iCAP RQ to a TOFWERK TOF mass analyzer. The iCAP RQ hardware provides versatile sample introduction, robust ICP, simple access to cones and lenses and the Q-cell technology. The TOF adds simultaneous all-element detection, linear response and mass resolving power >6000, while maintaining QMS-equivalent sensitivity. With high-speed mass spectral acquisition and simultaneous analysis of all isotopes, the icpTOF is the ideal ICP-MS detector for multi-element single particle analysis
or fast laser ablation imaging
- All the elements. All the time. The icpTOF always records complete mass spectra, so you never miss an analyte or interference signal.
- High mass resolution. The icpTOF 2R has a mass resolving power of 6000 allowing you to separate interfering ions.
- Precise isotope ratios. The icpTOF simultaneously measures all isotopes, thus eliminating the susceptibility of your measurements to source and sample fluctuations. Precision approaches statistical limits.
- High speed detection. The icpTOF records a complete mass spectrum every 12-50 µs making it the optimum detector for fast transient signals such as individual nanoparticles, fluid inclusions and laser ablation pixels.
- Maximum sensitivity. The icpTOF S2 has maximum sensitivity to increase image resolution and detect smaller particles with high SNR.
icpTOF R, icpTOF 2R, and icpTOF S2 Models
The icpTOF R, icpTOF 2R, and icpTOF S2 couple TOFWERK time-of-flight (TOF) mass analyzers to the source and interface hardware of a Thermo iCAP RQ. The optimized performance points enable diverse applications. The high resolution 2R is the choice for applications that demand separation of difficult isobaric interferences. The maximum sensitivity of the S2 increases spatial resolution for bioimaging and allows detection of smaller particles with high SNR.
Download Complete icpTOF Specifications Table
Mass Resolving Power
(ΔM/M at FWHM)
(cps/ppb for 238U)
All Element Analysis
icpTOF Hardware Design
- All icpTOF models include the iCAP RQ source and interface (blue) with Q-cell technology for suppression of matrix ions
- The TOF ion drift chamber (yellow) of the icpTOF 2R is two times longer than that of the icpTOF R, leading to a doubling of mass resolving power
- The compact icpTOF S2 acquires complete mass spectra at the highest speed, leading to maximum time resolution and sensitivity.
Notch Filter Technology to Attenuate Plasma and Sample Matrix Ions
Signal of a laser ablation experiment on Zircon ‘Plesovice’ -naturally high in Hafnium content. Signal attenuation of notch filter set around mass 28 -Silicon, 40 -Ar-Plasma, 90 -Zircon and 179 -Hafnium to keep plasma and matrix ion signals <10 mV.